Thursday, January 29, 2009

Prego check-up

I had my 29 week check up with my ditzy doc yesterday. Thankfully, she wasn't as ditzy this time around and the check up went well. Hubby was even able to be there with me. The baby's heartbeat was nice and strong and the belly measurement was right on target. Then I was even complimented on keeping my weight fairly consistent throughout the pregnancy so far. Yes, I did let loose with a snicker at that one as I haven't the slightest clue how I'm not huger than I am! Let's just say that the cravings have not all been for fresh fruit and veggies, y'all.

The subject of what to do if the baby continues to be in a breech position did come up. The doc assured me that the baby still had room to turn, but if he continued to be breech after the 36 week mark, that we'd have to decide if we wanted to try an external cephalic version (ECV), where they would turn the baby, or just wait to see if a c-section was the way to go. Seeing as everything I've read about an ecv indicates that it's only 50% effective, can cause bleeding a premature labor and that the baby could just turn back to a breech position anyway....well, I'm leaning towards just waiting to see about a c-section if the baby hasn't turned on his own.

Do I want a c-section? Not so much.

Will I do it for the baby? Without a moment's hesitation.

However, there's still time for everything to work out naturally. We'll handle whatever needs to be done when it needs to be done. Save that worry for another day!


Octamom said...

Glad to hear the visit went well!

All of my babies have not played the breech card on me...except for 8 of 8. His twin sister was nice and obedient, head down from early on. 8 of 8 had also been head down, but on the day I went into labor, he decided to do a flip--how he accomplished this in very crowded conditions still amazes me. While in labor, I told the nurse that I was pretty sure he had flipped again--and sure enough, when I got to the delivery room and they did another ultrasound, he had accomplished some incredible acrobatic, Houdini feat and was head down again---so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that yours will be a head down squirmer magician too!


Thimbleanna said...

I've had a baby both ways (au naturel and c-section) and I'll take c-section any day over all that icky labor. Your "without a moment's hesitation" comment gave me a BIG smile -- after I had my c-section the Dr. came by and apologized profusely because I'd had to have a vertical incision instead of a bikini cut. He felt really badly about that. I just looked at him and said "You saved my baby -- I wouldn't have cared if you'd had to slit my forehead wide open!" I do hope your baby turns, but like you implied -- whatever it takes to get him here healthy!

Anonymous said...

"all that icky labor?" Is that a joke?

Good luck. Some babies flip in labor so don't let them schedule you before you actually go into labor.

Honey Mommy said...

I hope your baby turns around and that all continues to go well!

Joanna said...

You know if they can't get the date right I'm thinking hold off until you're closer to actual labor.

Praying baby will flip in the right direction!

Jonny's Mommy said...

Has the doctor told you of the natural ways to have the baby turn? I was told of some ways that encourage the baby to turn downward and they are natural positions you can get into, nothing that would hurt the baby or cause any bleeding. Otherwise, I agree with the others and just wait to see how it goes. You've got some time, so I say, just hang in there and see what the little bugger does.