Friday, February 15, 2008

Mr. Teddidiah O'Hare






I was introduced to Mr. Teddidiah O'Hare on my first date with my Hubby. We were strolling through our local mall talking and laughing together when we happened by a flower shop. For some reason he maneuvered us inside and we looked at all the little odds-n-ends that filled every nook and cranny of the tiny shop. I saw Mr. Teddidiah and was intrigued by his shy grin and kind, intelligent eyes (Yes, I know he's a stuffed bear, but just go with me here folks...Please). I turned to say something to my future hubby and was confused when he wasn't beside me. When I finally located him, he was at the cash register. The sneaky guy had snatched Mr. Teddidiah from his perch on his crowded shelf and was busy "adopting" him. When he was finished we walked out together and he handed me Mr. Teddidiah with a little sideways smile. I still chuckle to myself when I remember that night. We had so much fun just being together...we still do.


Even though Mr. Teddidiah was a bit flustered at having been so unceremoniously plucked from his temporary home, he was pleased to have found a permanent one. He became my companion when my, then boyfriend, left shortly after that for a 6 month deployment to Japan. He was even given a spritz of my boyfriend's cologne to make him even more snuggly. This was a great sacrifice on his part as he prefers Aramis, but he was willing to do it for me. He even went so far as to whisper his nickname to me one night when I was feeling particularly lonesome. He's given me permission to share it with you - Teddy.


Teddy is an old-fashioned gentleman. He has a weakness for hot tea with lemon and honey with sugar tea cakes on the side. He always likes to look "just so" and is unfailingly polite, even when he's aggravated. When the Bubs was born, Teddy immediately took him under his fuzzy arm and doled out his own particular brand of comfort when needed. Teddy has lived with us for almost 8 years now. His fur isn't quite as shiny as it once was and his bow tie is looking rather frayed, but his unique charm hasn't faded one bit. (I once tried to give him a new bow tie, but he huffily refused. He said that his tie was a reminder of when the Bubs was little and liked to chew on it. I apologized profusely and was graciously forgiven.) Bubs still loves to give Teddy big hugs while breathing in his Daddy's cologne and I must admit to doing the same.


1 comment:

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Mr. Teddidiah O'Hare is a very handsome bear and I'm so glad to have been introduced to him in such an entertaining manner. Thanks for sharing! As you might know, I have a soft spot for bears and have one still that I had as a 9-year old and another one that belonged to my dad. Enjoying your blog. Thanks for the hilarious comment on my last one..made me laugh so hard! Take care!