Saturday, July 19, 2008

Having fun with art...


Well, I thought that since I wouldn't be able to get a pic of the big cabinet painting mock-up until Monday, I would post a few of my personal sketches that I have here at home. Before my teacher friend ever asked if I could paint her cabinets for her, I had been trying my hand at different underwater creatures in colored pencils and in watercolor pencils. Now remember these are rough sketches and not pristine final works of a professional artist! I just have fun seeing what I can do with different mediums. My favorite thing to work with right now are my watercolor pencils. I've never worked with them before and I've had fun learning how to use them over the last month or so. When I use the phrase "learning how to use them", that really means that I'm playing around until I find something I like as opposed to how they're supposed to be used in a traditional sense. What's art if you can't have fun with it?


This pic of a seahorse was one of my first attempts at using watercolor pencils....and of drawing a seahorse, for that matter. I remember being so tickled with how it turned out and having so much fun drawing again that I kept showing it to the Hubby every two seconds like a 3 year old kid! He dutifully told me that it "looked good" and shook his head in amusement when he thought I wasn't looking.


In preparation for my upcoming project, I've dusted off my brushes and acrylic paints. Now I have to fugure out which ones have completely dried out from old age and if I need any additional colors to go with an undersea pallete. Hmmmm....I wonder if Michael's is running a sale on acrylic paints?



1 comment:

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Wow! I think it is awesome too.

You've really honed your skills as an artist over the years. I'm a bit jealous I haven't kept up with it.

I'm back at work this week, which is a good and a bad thing. Good because I can use a faster service to check my blogs and email, bad because ... well, it is work.