Sunday, May 2, 2010

My first Arts and Crafts Show


Forgive me for the bloggy silence this past week. We had house things to get done, a short visit from the In-Laws and, oh yeah, my first arts/crafts show to get ready for!

It was a doozy of a week, but it was a memorable one. We had some fun afternoons out in the front yard setting up the tent and figuring out the display...the boys ran around laughing and playing and my Dad hung out with us and kept them out of trouble.

As for the show itself, it was a great experience! We (the Hubs was there with me) chatted with some helpful and fun vendors and met some wonderful customers. Everyone, except for the odd duck here and there, was positive and had very nice things to say about our display and the art. -I had some original pieces, prints and notecards for people to buy. - I loved hearing how they connected with the pieces and the stories about the person they were buying them for. I was both humbled and energized by their comments.

I even had a few people that offered ideas that I'd never thought of! One young man wanted to know if I sold digital downloads of my pieces because he wanted them for his iPhone/computer wallpaper (Hubs isn't too sure about this idea). Another young lady, who was shopping for a quick gift for the wedding she was going to that afternoon, mentioned that she would like to see some pieces that included women with different skin tones. I'd already been trying my hand (brush?) at that but the pieces weren't ready for this show.

Almost everyone wanted to know if I had an online shop. I'm going to look into doing that. Details, details, details.....


Anyway, it was a good show and I actually made some money. Woohoo!


No, there are no pictures...I left my big Canon at home to keep it safe, but I might be able to get my hands on one from someone who snapped a few. We'll see!


4 comments:

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

No Pictures?! What kind of blogger are you? :-) Just kidding. Glad your first show went so well and glad you go to hear from mom. God bless you and I'll be thinking of you this week, as always.

Heather said...

I am so excited for you! I came over from Sweet Shot, but got caught up in this post. I am thinking about doing a show in Oct., but have to sign up now. I am glad to read that you really enjoyed it. Did you have to pay a registration fee? How big was your booth? Where can I see more of your items?
Hope this comment isn't too overwhelming:)
Heather

Kaye Butler said...

oh...the online shop....YES! I don't see anything wrong with selling your prints for backgrounds...cellphones, ipods...endless. Combine that with your online shop!

U GO GURL!!!!!!!
(i was doing a little cabbage patch/travolta dance with the u go gurl!)

D.A. Weaver said...

Hi came across your site totally by accident!You were listed in Musings from a Craft Show. My Husband and I did a local craft show last year had tons of fun, lots of people stopped, but unfortunately with the economy, no sales of paintings! But did get an art student or two! Had fun doing a painting demo during the day! A free site you should look up to market your items is Made It Myself, this Grandma here was able to firgure out how to to use it! Good luck!