Monday, March 16, 2009

"Onesies..Check! Bottles...Check! Spaghetti Sauce...What?"

Out of all the baby preparations I thought I'd be making, I never thought I'd be doing freezer or make-ahead meals. It's just not something I traditionally think of as part of a baby prep regimen. I mean, there's the equipment to research and buy, clothes to purchase and wash, deciding on some sort of birth plan, nursery prep...and the list goes on and on, right?

In some of my random baby reading, I came across an article that touted the time and money saving qualities of doing meals ahead of time or at least the basics for them for right after the baby's born. At first, while its reasoning caught my attention, I'm just not the type to be that organized as to plan that far ahead when it comes to weekday meals.

Well organized or not, I'm giving the idea a try. That's right, folks, I'm taking a couple days to chop, boil, marinate and freeze my way to some no-brainer meals that either the Hubby or I can easily put on the table after the baby gets here. You know, for when we're too tired to know which end is up, but the Bubs is home from school asking, "What's for dinner?"

I'm feelin' a bit like Kate Gosselin from the TLC show, Jon and Kate Plus Eight. She's forever doing soups and such and then loading up her freezer.

Now, I know that this concept isn't a new or revolutionary one, but it's something I've never attempted before and I'm willing to give it a shot. Besides, if it will keep us away from fast food and take out, it's worth the extra effort.

2 comments:

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I read that same suggestion and thought about preparing things but never really got around to it. That's where mom stepped in and fed us. Boy, I suck. I made my mom make me food. But...it was good!

Anna K. said...

J's Mommy~ Yea, Aunt C. is awesome like that!