Saturday, January 12, 2008

Day Away

I'm positive most of you have heard the saying, "You can run but you can't hide" a time or two. After the past week, I'm giving serious thought to having it tattoed somewhere on my person. I felt like I had no relief and no place to hide after a particularly rough week. Allow me to explain...and, yes, whine for a minute or three.

I'm a stay-at-home mom right now and my hubby is deployed. So while he's away fulfilling his out-of-country obligations, I am for all intents and purposes a single parent. This normally isn't such a big deal for me but this week....oh, my! Like a Jack Johnson song says "it's always better when we're together" and, honey, I was really missin' the wonderful back-up I get from Hubby when it comes to raising the Bubs. And, I should be completely honest, was missing the ability to run away, uh I mean get away, when the Bubs and I need some space from one another. No can do when my man is away...or so I thought.

My Mom and Aunt Dianne frequently keep Bubs when I have singing practice, appointments or big runs to the grocery store to take care of. As a result, I'm a tad reluctant to ask them to keep him so I can have some time for myself. It's a guilt thing, y'all. So I was surprised and oh-so-pleased to get a phone call from my Dad late this morning about taking the Bubs to be with him, Mom, and Dianne today. After we worked out a few details and hung up, I stood there for a moment in a blissful stupor. With my phone in hand and a goofy smile strung across my face, I began to contemplate what I was going to do with my free time. Free time enumerated in hours, not minutes...consecutively. I had the sensation of being a kid in a candy store, not being able to decide what to try first because it all looks good. I could do whatever I wanted! Yippee!

I eventually decided to see a movie and swing by a local bookstore. The movie was great and I thoroughly enjoyed being able to peruse coffee-scented aisles of books at my leisure. My idea of a perfectly laid back afternoon by myself...although, if the weather had cooperated I probably would have gone down to the water and taken some pictures.

I've written all of this to say...it's okay for moms and kids to have a little time apart. The Bubs, I discovered, needed the break today almost as much as I did. By offering to take him to play at their house, Dad, Mom and Dianne allowed us to run and hide for a little while. Thank You! ---I'm sending you my thanks in writing because, otherwise, I'd fall at your feet in a puddle of grateful sobs.---

1 comment:

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Isn't it wonderful to have time to yourself? This is sooo rare for me that I am drooling just reading about your day. I'm really glad you got it and I was able to live through you by reading here. I'm so glad you have this blog because I get to catch up on all of you. Love you and I hope things start to get a little better for you. I'm praying for you!