Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Party Planning


I like planning things.
I enjoy doing research, drawing out my ideas and making lists.
Lots of lists.
I can't help myself!

Making those grand plans come to fruition.....now that's something that I have to work on.
I've gotten a teensy bit better about that.
I guess it comes down to keeping it simple and focusing on a few key details.

My Dad's 6oth birthday is around the corner and I'm pulling things together for a party.
Of course, I have some great people around me lending a helping hand...or three!

What am I focusing on?

*Food
*Ambiance
*Personal Touches

The food will be homemade things that Dad asked for...chicken salad, my pasta salad, etc. He picked out a cake from a local bakery that will be so, so yummy.

Fall colors and touches will be a big part of the ambiance. I'm going to try my hand at painting his initials in a cool script on a pumpkin. A smaller pumpkin will be used as a "vase" for some flowers straight from a loved one's garden. A pot of sliced apples and oranges simmering in some clove and cinnamon spiced water on the stove will help everything smell fabulous.

The personal touches will mostly center around a display of photos of my Dad over the years. My handy digital photo frame will be a big part of that. I'll be raiding Dad's house for a few more...including one of my Mom that he specifically requested.


So there you have it.
My idea of party planning.

I'm so excited!

4 comments:

Rochelle@AFamilyofLooneys said...

Sounds like it is going to be a great party. You have some really good ideas. I know your Dad is going to love it.

Wendy said...

Haaa!-- I SO know what you mean!! I'm all about the planning, but the carrying out of the plan really does me in.
Sounds like you are prepared, though, and the party sounds perfect for fall!
Love the name on the pumpkin idea.
Happy Birthday to your Dad!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

You are talking to a fellow list girl... oh yes... love my lists! :) This sounds like a wonderful and very special party for your dad. Beautiful touches that are going to mean so much to him!! I hope he has a very Happy Birthday! :)

Heather Ritchie said...

Girl, I love those chocolate dipped pretzels with confetti sprinkles. Easy, but with a big wow-factor! I agree with you on trying to get things to actually happen rather than making lists. It's something I'm working on in my house right now trying to decide on furniture choices. You don't want to spend all that money on the wrong thing, you know? Have a great day!

.heather.