Monday, January 4, 2010

The Villian is being played by....Who?

When I was a little girl, I would imagine myself as a character in fantastically wonderful and, often, hilarious stories of my own making. Sometimes I would play the whimsical princess who ruled her land with grace and compassion (yes, there was a prince and he was the typical boring, too-pretty type...but I was 8, so I didn't know any better!). Other times I would dream that I was a world traveler who saw and did amazing and life-altering things, with a camera in hand and sturdy boots on my feet.

No matter what those imaginings created, I was never the villain, never made to feel small and inconsequential.

I have learned, in my few years of motherhood, that I can often be perceived as "the bad guy" if only for enforcing a rule that the child had been REPEATEDLY warned about. That rarely bothers me anymore as I know that I (and the Hubs) have to do this in order to raise happy, healthy, moral and productive children.

There are other times, however, when the label is slapped across my chest and it is unwarranted and completely unexpected.

I have, just this morning, been slapped with that unlovely (and unloving) title. By a family member, no less.

Words, which I've never expressed verbally or otherwise, were unceremoniously shoved in my mouth. Accusations were flung about with the same relish as a small child left with unattended Kleenexes. Blame was laid at my door, complete with shiny gift wrap and a garish bow.

I'm not sure how it happened, as I'm one of the supportive characters -or thought I was- but happen it did. Now, I'm dealing with the fall out....and I want my Momma.

4 comments:

G said...

hi I'm new here BUT I have been there. In fact this was my whole 2009. Good luck to you!!

following you now!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

What.the.heck happened? It wasn't me was it?! :-)

I know it wasn't...but seriously..are you OK? I'm here if you need to talk.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Oh and I won't pass this on to anyone else right now, OK?

The rest of the family reads your blog only when they have time -- mom and dad have dial up so..you know...it takes forever.

Joanna said...

Oh no! Hugs to you and some chocolate. Hope it clears up quick.